Bitback, a Techstars portfolio company (20') and former IDEO CoLab resident (19'), is a cashback rewards platform that aims to put money back into the pockets of young people across Africa and around the globe. Users earn cashback rewards for each and every purchase they make from their favourite retailers through the app. Merchants and service providers are able to reach and retain key consumers through special offers and rewards. Our vision is to create new income streams for young people and fuel their entrepreneurial spirits. Bitback’s platform will be launching in Ghana early in 2021. Bitback is a Canadian company.
At Bitback, we have remote working in our DNA - Bitback was created while the co-founders were travelling in South Africa, built in Southeast Asia, iterated on in San Francisco, tested in Kampala, and incubated in Berlin. We are a member of Pledge 1% where all employees are expected to donate 1% of time to causes they are passionate about.
We also pride ourselves on our 6 core values and we expect all employees to embody these values in their actions and attitudes. This includes:
- Do the right thing 💚 We believe in doing the right thing even when it's the more difficult path. Learned from and inspired by the outstanding team at Left.
- Make your own luck 🔥 We believe that even the most unexpected outcomes can become possible when you put yourself out there. Inspired by this talk from Y Combinator.
- Embrace randomness 🎲 Be on the lookout for convergences. You never know when a chance encounter could result in a change in direction or a new pathway.
- Make magic ✨ We believe in creating magical and memorable experiences for users and those you love by surprising and delighting them.
- Diversity is strength ✊🏿 ✊🏽 ✊🏾 We believe that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. We respect all cultures, genders, and backgrounds.
- Have fun! 💃🏽🕺🏽 Life is short, so above all things, we want you to enjoy it. That's why we have an adventure first (remote first) policy.
As the Mobile Developer (iOS) at Bitback, you will help create and maintain our customer facing mobile applications. We already have our Android application and the main goal for the first few months is to create an iOS version from scratch.This position will allow you to work on both the Android and iOS application. This is a unique opportunity to join an early stage startup where you will have a tremendous impact on the product that will eventually be launched to businesses and consumers in West Africa. Our ideal candidate would have experience working at a small startup and is passionate about our mission to put money into the pockets of young people across Africa and fuelling entrepreneurial spirits.
As our Mobile Developer (iOS), you will:
- Developing and maintaining features for our Mobile Application (iOS - Swift and Android - Kotlin)
- Develop and maintain features in our customer application
- Ensuring up-to-date documentation of technical documents and code
- Ensuring the best performance, low data usage and great user experience of the application.
- Review other people’s code to always ensure quality and consistency
- Continuously improve application features, functionality, architecture or systems
- Mentor junior team member(s), with lots of opportunity to grow your career.
- Maintain and enhance the Mobile testing suite
You might be a fit for this role if:
- 2+ years of experience in a Mobile (iOS and Android) and/or full-stack engineering role, including all phases of the product life cycle, preferably working at a startup.
- At least 2+ years of experience writing Swift applications
- Have experience working on mobile apps built for consumers
- Experience working on cross-functional teams, frequently and proactively soliciting feedback and leading design discussions
- Ability to write clean and robust code in Swift/Kotlin
- Knowledge of fundamental web languages (HTML/CSS/JS)
- Knowledge of software design principles (MVVM)
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience integrating with REST APIs
You will stand out in this role if:
- Along with iOS development, you have a strong knowledge of Android development
- You have created mobile apps on your own and are open sourced on a public version control system (github/gitlab)
- You have strong design skills and embrace the human centered design ethos
Other things we look for in our Mobile Developer:
- You are extremely hardworking, detail oriented and organized.
- You are comfortable working on an early stage startup with a small team.
- You are driven and take initiative to figure out solutions to problems yourself.
- You are comfortable working remotely, and communicating asynchronously with team members.
- You love mentoring and teaching junior team members to help them learn and grow.
What we offer you:
- Hands-on experience building a product that is putting money into the pockets of young people across Africa and fuelling their entrepreneurial spirits
- The ability to work remotely with flexible hours
- The ability to make an impact on day one and get your code shipped in quick iterative cycles
- Get exposure working on a mobile app tailored to young people in East and West Africa
- Fine tune your iOS skills to optimize for low memory, small size devices
- The opportunity to become a key part of Bitback’s journey
- Health & dental benefits
- Potential for stock option grant
How to apply:
Do you want to build the next big cashback rewards app? Do you want to help create a fun new income stream for young people around the world?
To apply, please submit the following by email to email@example.com with "Mobile Developer (iOS) in the subject line.
- A link to your online code repository
- Your CV and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short paragraph about why Bitback is interesting to you
SPECIAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Please address the email to “Patrick” and do not address the email to "recruiting manager" "sir/madam" or "hiring manager", if you do, it shows us that your attention to detail is a little bit lacking!
Please highlight your previous experience developing mobile apps. A cover letter is not necessary.
Your application will only be considered if submitted by email as per the above instructions.
Bitback invites applications from all qualified candidates. Bitback is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ persons.